Applications are now open for the 2023 CIRES Visiting Student Scheme.
This scheme will support high calibre research students for 8-12 weeks term visits to the ARC Training Centre for Information Resilience (CIRES) at The University of Queensland, and provides the opportunity to conduct joint research work on areas of mutual interest.
Successful applicants will be provided with a lump-sum to partially cover living costs in and return airfares to Brisbane.
Application Deadlines for 2023
March 22, 2023, 23:59, Anywhere on Earth.
June 22, 2023, 223:59, Anywhere on Earth.
September 22, 2023, 23:59, Anywhere on Earth.
1. The scheme is primarily intended for PhD students (who have already passed their Qualification Exam at their respective university). We may also accept Master’s/Bachelor students who can demonstrate strong research & development expertise to the assessment panel.
2. Your main research expertise should generally fit in the area of data science and in particular should align with the research specialisations of the CIRES centre investigators at UQ (https://cires.org.au/people/) as well as with the interests of centre industry and government partners (see current projects https://cires.org.au/research/projects/).
3. Partial co-funding from your own institution.
4. CIRES will offer funding of:
- AUD 5,000 for an 8 week visit, and,
- AUD 6,000 for a 12 week visit.
To apply, please provide the following, sent as one PDF file to the contact address (below).
- A 1-2 page research proposal (in line with the proposed duration of stay), including clearly planned outcomes. Please indicate the linkage between the proposal and the research conducted by one or more members of CIRES. The proposed research should be of high quality, for example something that could be published at a top conference or journal.
- A 1-2 page CV highlighting key achievements, plus a full publications list (for journal papers, please indicate the impact factor; for conference papers, please refer to http://portal.core.edu.au/conf-ranks/ to find the rank of the conference, if available).
- Evidence that you have contacted at least one CIRES Chief Investigator and obtained their agreement to be your potential supervisor during your visit. Your research proposal should be reviewed and agreed by your potential local supervisor before submitting your application.
- A draft budget of the expected costs and required funding.
- Separately, as a final step, your supervisor must provide a letter of support, emailed directly to the contact address (below), including details of the provided co-funding. Please note that an application will not be considered complete until such a letter is received.
The Centre’s review panel will consider applications and aim to provide a decision within 14 business days (unless specified otherwise) following the application deadline.
All information should be sent in an email with the subject “CIRES Visiting Student Scheme” to email@example.com, copied to the proposed UQ-based
collaborator and your current supervisor.
If you have any questions about the scheme, please contact the Centre via firstname.lastname@example.org